- Habit is unconscious behavior
- We are accountable for our habits
- habits building is basically trying to change oneself (which is a broader topic)
- homeostasis always fights back
- build one habit at a time (you can build more, but that’s more struggle and you’re more likely to fail)
- create triggers for new habits. this could be either a specific time, or another event (or another habit). I have a stretching habit that I do right before § Meditation.
start small and increase in small steps. The trick is to make increments so small that you barely notice.
- I have started my eye exercise habit from 2 minutes daily. I increased the duration by 30, 20, or 10 seconds with next sittings up to 5 minutes originally planned.
- I have been waking up at 9:30, and moved wake up time by 1 minutes per day. It takes a month to move by 30 minutes, but, hey, I’m not rushing. (You can move by more minutes per day. If waking up 5 minutes earlier is nothing for you, wake up 5 minutes earlier every day.)
- positive motivation vs. negative motivation. It is better to be positively motivated. i.e., want to have something cool rather than want to avoid something bad.