- Newport, Cal
p.19 Self-Determination Theory (SDT)
- Relatedness (to other people)
p.38 Passion mindset—what the world can offer to you; Craftsman mindset—what you can offer to the world.
- Focusing on what you can get makes you hyper-aware of what you don’t like. This is especially true of entry-level positions which by definition are not challenging or interesting.
- Regardless of your current mindset, adopting the craftsman mindset helps
- p.97 If you’re not uncomfortable, then you’re probably stuck at an “acceptable level.”
- Adjacent Possible
- You should pursue control/autonomy after you gain enough career capital. Otherwise, your autonomy will be unstable.
- If you have enough career capital, you employer will try to stop you from regaining control (you’re too valuable to loose.)
- Derek Sivers: How to start a movement | TED Talk