- Do planning before building something. In-person white-boarding or just talking things through with the team. Anything as long as you’re clear on how the thing is going to be built.
- Capture this plan ins a short written document (RFC). Once you agree, it should be quick and easy to write.
- Have a few selected people approve the plan before starting work.
- Send this planning document to all engineers in the company. (My company is too big for this to work, but circulating documents inside the unit should be fine.)
- Have everyone follow the above steps.
- Architecture Decision Record—as an example formats