- Make fleeting notes (write random ideas that come into your head)
Make literature notes
- store those in bibliography
- be selective (esp. with quotes). don’t skip thinking about what your read
Make permanent notes
- use it to develop ideas, not collect them → Zettelkasten is about developing ideas, not collecting them
- Link it to other notes, add it to index cards (Structure Zettel)
Trust the process.
- don’t cling to topics
- the slip box will naturally accumulate what interests you
- build topics bottom-up
Take all the relevant notes on the topic together. Look for what’s missing or redundant
- Don’t wait for a finished topic—give yourself time to do more reading and note-taking.
- Translate your notes into argument (don’t copy)
- Edit and proofread